photograph of Protection Engine Company No. 3 taken in front of
the City Hall station showing Steanmer No. 249 on the left and
Steamer No. 483 on the right. Unfortunately none of the uniforms
shown are known to exist today. Members in white were Company
Most of the speaking trumpets
shown in the photos are sitll in the possession of the company.
Though the steamer on the left
was scrapped many years ago, a little more than memories remain
today. One of the play pipes used for the AM Atkinson today is
inscribed "Linta" which was the name of the older engine
when it was owned by Towanda. Once in Honesdale it was renamed
the RW Ham in honor of the chief of the company. Note the early
fire hydrant on the extreme left.
This early photo of the steamer
pulled by a light team at a dead run down main street was taken
around 1890 to 1900. This photo is from an old 3X3 brown toned
albumen print taken by an unidentified photographer. On close
observation you can see that the man in the right seat has his
right foot off the foot rest and directly on or over the wheel,
for what reason is not known. The only brake on the engine is
controled only by the engineer who rides on the back step.
to Old Photo Directory Page